Sunday, December 11, 2011

Creating highly-redundant, low-cost Mac servers with Lion Server and Mac minis

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota
@Goldie07

Yeah, but I couldn't count on them to run for 8 years.

Nor could I expect one built in 2005 to have a power consumption of 15-30 watts, depending on load. And know that if/when I replace it then the power consumption will be even lower.

Yeah I can waste my time cobbling something together, but why not use a well built and efficient machine, rather than trying to pinch intellectual property to save a short term buck, whilst throwing many more bucks at your power utility?

I am currently looking at power use here, to that end I have a power meter on my Mac Mini as I thought it might account for a slab of our base load, as I have found out it is using next to none of it.

I had previously retired 2 Mac G4 towers from around 2000, purely to reduce baseload, as they were running perfectly. I sold one as a working unit, and the other has replaced a friend's Core Duo PC, the 450MHz G4 tower works better.

So why anyone would bother with lower quality hardware running an OS they have stolen is beyond me. Yes STOLEN!!!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment